Fowler Special Exhibit
Lost West Concord: Transformations over Time
Powered by the fast-flowing Assabet River, West Concord had an industrial foundation from the start. It began with the establishment of several mills, including George Hayward’s saw mill, Lot Conant’s fulling mill and culminated, early in the nineteenth century, with the Damon family’s mill, which began producing textiles in the 1830s and continued with various changes in ownership into the twentieth century. At about the same time Pratt’s Powder Mills on the Concord-Acton town line opened for business. [Read More]
New Fowler Library (photos taken before grand opening on March 26, 2011)
Fowler Interior: Photos 1-6: Lower Level; Photos 7-10: Children's Room Main Level; Photos 11-16: Main Level; Photos 17-25: Woodwork (Photos provided by C.E. Floyd Company, Inc.)
Fowler Exterior (Photos provided by C.E. Floyd Company, Inc.)
September 2010 (Below) - Photo1: West Wing; Photo2: New Water Service; Photo3: Southwest Corner View; Photo4: Children's Room; Photo5: View to Stairs; Photo6: Old to New; Photo7: Front Desk Area. (Photographed by Paul Mahoney)
August 2010 (Below) - Photo1: Approach View; Photo2: Community Room to Stair View; Photo3: First Floor; Photo4: Rear Left; Photo5: Stair at Lower Level; Photo6: Stair at Upper Level; Photo7: Working on Roof. (Photographed by Paul Mahoney)
July 2010 (Below) - Photo1: Main Entry; Photo2: Front wall form work; Photo3: View to new stairwell; Photo4: Round wall form work. (Photographed by Paul Mahoney)
June 2010 (Below) - Photo1: View from left exterior; Photo2: New Addition; Photo3: View from basement to new stairs; Photo4: View from new addition; Photo5: View to new stairs; Photo6: View to original room; Photo7: View to staff area. (Photographed by Paul Mahoney)
May 2010 (Below) - The building construction began on May 10, 2010. See photos below. (Photographed by Caroline Nie)
Week 1 - The Fowler Branch Library was officially closed for renovation at 5:00 p.m. on May 1, 2010. Movers began packing and moving Fowler Library materials to an offsite storage on May 3. Staff started setting up the Fowler satellite library - Fower Express located in the Harvey Wheeler Community Center on the same day. A new book drop is now available in the West Concord train station parking lot. Photos below captured some of the highlights of the first week. (Photos: Caroline Nie)
Located on Main Street in West Concord, the Fowler Library serves hundreds of patrons with a popular collection (close to 50,000 volumes) of books, books on CD, DVDs and newspapers and magazines. The staff is ready to recommend books and help families find materials in the Children’s Room. (Above: An architectural rendering of new Fowler, Main Street view.)
Programming at the Fowler Library includes Friday Flicks at Fowler presented by the Friends of the Library, book discussion groups and children’s programs.
In 1918, residents of West Concord, feeling that the distance between West Concord and Concord Center limited their access to the Library’s collections, petitioned for a branch library. A year later, the West Concord Branch opened in one room of the West Concord Grammar School.
In 1928, through a bequest of Loring Nixon Fowler (1855-1921) — the well-liked owner of a general store on Commonwealth Avenue in Concord Junction — the Library Corporation began the process of building a separate Library on a lot at the corner of Main and Church Streets, purchased from Town of Concord. This building — the Loring N. Fowler Memorial Library — was designed by architect Harry Little and was dedicated on May 18, 1930. Architect David Holdorf designed the subsequent expansion of the building in 1996.
Fowler Library Hours